This commission, to be launched during 2013, will follow all major regulatory developments that are impacting our way of doing business locally and internationally. Major issues that will concentrate our efforts will be around :
- Market access
- Sustainability issues
- ICT and the digital services
- And all around the internal market completion.
EU spending priorities:
The EU adopted last February 2013 a €960bn budget for 2014-2020 defining the amounts per EU spending priorities for the 7 years to come. This budget is for the time ever lower than those of previous financing periods. On 1stJanuary 2014, a new budget cycle will start with new projects and funds implying new needs for external advisory services. Grants and tenders will be published on TED throughout the 7-year framework period giving the firms and consultancies across Europe and beyond the European Union opportunities to participate and bid, deliver mainstream and new services.
The EU Budget for 2014-2020 in figures:
Key budget headings or programmes for FEACO:
- Connecting Europe Facilities (CEF):the EU fund dedicated to large trans-European infrastructures. €29,3bn will be invested by the EU comprising €23,2bn for Transport, €5,1bn for Energy and €1bn only for Telecoms/Digital agenda (broadband and e-services).
- Horizon 2020/Research:the next EU framework programme for Research and Innovation. €70/80bn will be allocated to scientific projects and innovative ideas, including funding for research in ITCs. See Q&A on support for SMEs in Horizon 2020
- Programme for the Competitiveness of enterprises and SMEs (COSME) 2014-2020:with a planned budget of €2.5bn, this EU fund aims at facilitating SMEs access to finance and new markets as well as encouraging entrepreneurship.
- Regional policy:through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), the European Social Fund (ESF) and the Cohesion Fund (CF), €313bn will be allocated to "Investment for growth and jobs" and €8,9bn will be directed to "European territorial cooperation”.
- Youth Employment Initiative: this €6bn fund was created to help young Europeans to enter the job market -
See website of the EU budget for 2014-2020
Activities of the commission on Economic and Regulatory issues:
Discussing new developments in the EU regulatory landscape and spotting new areas of EU opportunities for consultancies: dialogue, stakeholder, tenders..
Taking part to EC consultations: the European Commission, as EU regulatory body, launches regularly consultations on its draft proposals that are opened to administrations, civil society and business. Feaco is ready to take part in this process, providing national feedbacks in terms of administrative burden, taxes, sustainable businesses, competitiveness, infrastructure etc.
EC consultations are published on "Your voice in Europe"
Seating at EU expert groups meetings: EU officials set up experts groups to gather expertise on specific technical issues. These groups comprise experts from Member States, international organisations, consultancies, companies etc. Feaco's members might apply for targeted advisory groups. The register of EU expert groups can be found here.
Becoming an EU player: Brussels gathers all the EU institutions but also EU agencies, NGOs, Federations, lobbies etc, making it a place where stakeholders meet and network at the occasion of conferences or events. FEACO is already attending events and plans to organise its own workshops in order to further engage with EU stakeholders.
- Commission wants to simplify life for SMEs by easing the top 10 most burdensome EU laws(DG ENTER)
- European Commission launches Grand Coalition for Digital Jobs(EU press release)
- Gender quotas: Bad for business or a ‘necessary evil’?(Euractiv)
- Single European patent officially signed(Euractiv)
- Cybersecurity offers commercial opportunity, but also stokes trade tensions(Euractiv)
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) European Enterprise Promotion Awards 2013(DG ENTER)
- Moving forward to an industrial renaissance to overcome economic crisis (Press release, European Commission)
- Together for new growth - A film on the single market (DG MARKT, European Commission)
- EU measures to tackle youth unemployment (Press release, European Commission)
- Cohesion Policy: getting the most from EU Funds for growth and jobs - Commission moves to help (Press release, European Commission)
- Introduction to Chinese business legislation to facilitate SMEs' initial orientation (DG ENTER, European Commission)
Would you have any question or idea, please do not hesitate to contact Mercedes Sanchez Varela.